Friday, August 24, 2012

A Great Feel Good Story

Folks, I here will present to you a feel good story, well, at least I felt good!!

About a month and a half ago, I was visiting a friend. We were chatting as usual and she, all of a sudden, says to me, "You know Lupe, if I am to die to tonight or tomorrow I am ready. I am ok with it."  This statement caught me by surprise. I was like, "WTF is going on with her?  Is she mad? I know she's been through a lot, but come on now!"

So I asked her, "wait, what? come again?"  She proceeded to repeat herself, and I asked her, what brought this on?  She reminded me of her long bitter divorce and the fact that she is having money troubles.  I continued, to tell her that others had it so much far worse than her.  Others, are homeless, without a steady income and have no one in their lives.  She has her children, who are grown up, and has her mother, and her job, her home,  but somehow that wasn't enough to her.

This reminded of me some time ago. I kinda knew what she was going through, granted I wasn't going through a divorce since I've never been married; but I knew about that void.  When that void hits you, its ugly and causes you to get all nutty and depressed.  I know, I went through it.

I continued to listen to her and then thought, not only is she depressed and feels that void, but she is going through that "i am no longer needed syndrome."  I don't know how that feels but I can imagine it sucks.  I then decided her to invite her to volunteer at Burrito Project South Pasadena. She was curious and I explained.  I got to admit, I wasn't expecting her to accept or especially go through with it.  She told me usually watches her Spanish novelas.  I then challenged her to drop her novelas for that night and I sacrifice my precious sleep and go as well.  I wasn't planning on going because I had to wake up at 5am and usually that chapter finishes really late at night and then I get home late and hardly sleep at all...blah blah...

She accepted that challenge. The day came and I so wanted to back out because I was exhausted and hadn't slept well for over a week, but I made that sacrifice and went with it. I picked her up and she was nervous and excited.  I had already warned her she probably wouldn't like it. Delivering at Skid Row is quite an eye opening experience and not everyone has the character or strength to do it.

Her daughter with her friends also showed up and everyone was excited. Finally the rest of the Burrito Project group showed up and we started.  I was constantly watching her reaction and her demeanor and she seemed okay. I have to admit, I was concerned.  The delivery was a bit long but successful. She was excited to do it again.  WOW!! I was shocked and happy at the same time!

She and her daughter went again and sadly I couldn't join the group this time. I visited her later in the week and asked her how she was doing. She said she was feeling good about herself. And I told her, that it showed. She looked chirpy and seemed more alive.

She then thanked me for giving her this opportunity to feel good, needed, with a purpose in life, and a better relationship with her daughter.  I was so happy that a tear fell down my face.  I couldn't believe I helped someone feel alive again. She no longer wants to die that quick and wants to do so much. She is working on some personal stuff and has set goals.  WOW!!

The moral of the story, you never know when, where or how will you change a person's life to a positive one. In this case, I felt it was my duty to show her that there is so much more in life than what she was going through and that someone else has it worse.  We have so much to be thankful for in this life and we have so much to do during our stay on earth in this life.  Man, after I heard her, I felt good and ready to tackle life again!!  I hope this story touches you as it did to me!  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment