Friday, July 3, 2009

An Ode to a Great Musician

A lot has happened lately, specifically the passing of Michael Jackson-aka the King of Pop-was beloved by many across the world. Many artists attribute their love of the art to Michael Jackson and has served as an influence to a lot. Though he has been plagued with controversy throughout the better of part of his career and life, he undoubtedly will remain in our memories and hearts as the great musician he was.

On the day of his passing (6/25/2009), many at work were sad and some were happy he was dead. I, as outspoken as I am, decided to shed some light on these people that were happy he was dead. I said that whether he did or didn't do what he was accused of doing, it's not our business and we are no one to judge; only God will judge him, but regardless he was a human being.

He was a person who had an especially troubled childhood. Heck with that father of his, I'm surprised he didn't commit suicide a long time ago. His father, in my opinion, is still awful. When asked on Tuesday (6/30) if there were plans set for MJ's memorial, he said no but that he was working on a new record label. And he started plugging the new record label just like that. What an asshole! What a heartless human being!

Well as far as his music, my utmost favorite song by Michael Jackson is Billie Jean; hands down. The video to it great, too. I, like many gen-Xers, were hooked on music videos. These were such an innovation for that time, that one always looked forward to watching MTV and Request Video. I loved watching Request Video. It's hosts were Richard Blade and The Poorman, who also deejayed at KROQ at the time. I was introduced to this phenomenon in 1983. I was obsessed and had to tune into the tube everyday-Channel 56. When Billie Jean came out I was immediately hypnotized. I couldn't get enough of the song or the video. What was great for me, Richard was playing it everyday. That along with Madonna's Lucky Star & Duran Duran's Rio.

I wasn't too thrilled with the song, Thriller. It was a piece of great art, but could care less about it. I think I was traumatized and couldn't sleep for days. LOL My other favorite songs from are Pretty Young Thing, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, and Rock with You. Unfortunately, I only own "Off the Wall" and never got to buying Thriller; don't know why.

As I've been talking to my friends about MJ, we truly all loved his music. We all have our own favorites and our unfavorites, but one thing holds the same, damn was he good. I'm hoping (but not counting on it) I can get tickets to the Memorial to be held at the Staples Center this Tuesday (7/7/09). *sigh* It would be great to go; a great memory of a lifetime.

Speaking of lifetime memories, I have a big memorable regret. I regret forgetting to go see that huge exhibition back in April in Beverly Hills. If you recall a lot of his stuff was going to be auctioned off. MJ's lawyers were able to get an injunction and stop the auction. So MJ's people arranged to have the items displayed for a week or so in Beverly Hills for $20. I think I passed it for Disneyland. DAMMIT! I can't believe I got mixed up and just forgot. This is something I will regret for the rest of my life.

Well, here is the video to my favorite song of all time, Billie Jean. I obtained the video from MJ's You Tube channel. I loved how everything he touched would light up, esp. the floor tiles. I love the tune and melody to this song. The song and it's video are just great overall. Thanks MJ for your wonderful contribution to music history. You surely will be missed forever. *SIGH*



No comments:

Post a Comment