Saturday, February 21, 2009

Friday night outing!

Last night I hung out with my BFF. Went for a quick eat at Koo Koo Roo in Manhattan Beach. The food was YUCKO. I ordered a turkey pot pie and it was disgusting. The filling was made of gravy, corn, celery, potatoes, carrots, and canned turkey. There was some kind of oil separation with the gravy & it was super gross! It was so awful I couldn't eat it anymore. Following this awful quick eat we proceeded to the movie theater to watch “ The Wrestler.”

The film took place in New Jersey and it's about a once famous professional wrestler from the 1980's, The RAM , played by Mickey Rourke. 20 years later the Ram Jam is still working gigs in some small local arena. We see how the “sport” is all show. Ram gets to discuss the “fight” with his assigned opponent right before getting on the rink. The cuts the players get are self inflicted & not caused by the ropes or the punches; it's all stage work, so to speak.

It seems to me it was a low budget film because the filming was making me dizzy. The quality was bad, but I can understand the RAW effect the director was trying to portray. The director tries to humanize Ram by introducing us to his love interest, Cassidy, a stripper played by Marisa Tomei . We see how their attraction grows day by day all of a sudden. We also see how Ram is a regular dude during the day, works at the local super market.

At some point, Ram has a heart attack in the locker room after a “fight.” His doctor instructs him to stop taking drugs & that he should quit wrestling. Ram was devastated about the wrestling part. He then decides to reach out to Cassidy but suggests he should be with his family. We learn his only family is his daughter, , but confesses to her it will be difficult because of their estranged relationship. He does decide to quit and reconnects with his daughter after many attempts.

Yada-yada-yada! Ram goes back to “fight” one more time against his best opponent from 20 years ago. It seems like he gets another heart attack during the performance and that is his end. I just got sad writing this line, but that doesn't change how I felt by the film. I didn't like it. It wasn't worth $10.75 I was able to tell that others felt the same. It was too much in such little time. I can see how men would LOVE this film because it focuses on their huge fragile egos. I just did not enjoy it; too much testosterone.

On the other hand, Gran Torino which also had lots of testosterone, was an excellent film. Clint Eastwood did an excellent job in humanizing his character and all others. You actually felt sorry for this character. Men came out of the theater in tears, as well as women. I am surprised it didn't get enough nominations in my opinion.

Overall, my evening was awful. How unfortunate! “The Wrestler” is overrated and I don't recommend it at all! Don't watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment